Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Scrapping with Soul - Scrapbook Retreat - Hey What an Excuse!

Yes I truly don't need an excuse to get away and spend time with girlfriends and the occasional bit of scrapbooking! :)

Scrapping with Soul had their 3rd Scrapbooking Retreat from Friday 30th May to Sunday 1st June at Waterslea, North Nowra. It is such a beautiful place to go and just sit and relax and watch the dairy cows on the flat and the occasional boat go by.

This years theme was "Love". The girls always organise such a great weekend. We are so thankful that the SWS team are so organised and ensure that all those who attend have a great relaxing time.
Once again this year I took the trusty laptop to do lots and lots of digital scrapbooking! Ha! I did manage to unpack the laptop and set it all up, but completing lots and lots of layouts didn't happen. Oh yes I did a couple but that was about it.

I did more talking than anything and really I knew that was on the card for the weekend. So I thought I best do a couple of the workshops that the team organised so that I actually had something to bring home completed. You know, something to show productivity to the family!

The first workshop I did was an OTP (Off The Page). It was basically covering a recycled coffee tin with gorgeous paper and blinging it up! My type of project. The wonderful Gail Combers was our instructor for this and she just loves all and anything OTP. She is one of those extremely crafty and wonderful natured people who also loves a conversation or two.
So here is the final product of my attempt of Gail's OTP project! Dar Dar! It is now on display in Amy-Jane's room where I will endeavour to do the little book that Gail had provided the instructions for.

The second workshop was a grunge layout. Oh, a bit scary! Freestyle scrapbooking, no conventional way to scrap, no lines of symentry. It just wasn't me! I even told Ro that I was seriously thinking that I won't do the workshop and will pull out. I even forgotten to bring a photo for it, no harm lost I thought. Anyway then I thought "why not, you should atleast have a go and if I didn't really like it that I just won't do it in the future"! The SWS team had a printer and laptop set up at the retreat so I quickly printed out a photo on cardstock, which didn't look to bad for the project.

But guess what I did enjoy it! The very funny and talented Lusi Austin was the instructor for this workshop. Now how crazy did I think she was? Fancy using liquid paper on a LO (layout), and not to mention the amount of staples this lady uses. OMG! It first appeared to me that anything is fair game to use on a LO for this chick! CRAZY! What goes on in her mind???????
So we did a layout using what ever we wanted and using her new range of stamps. Well now featuring on my LO is the use of stamps, Artline markers, finger painting, a bread tie, torn bits of paper, staples, buttons, chipboard and lots of scribble! Honestly it was quite releasing! And I must say that it doesn't look to bad.

What has this girl started with us?

Anyway, Lusi showed us how to be less conservative with our layouts and spread our wings (so to speak). I can guarentee you that Lusi is quite a sane person and has given me such a different perspective on scrapbooking. As she mentioned in the workshop she doesn't have time and wants to be productive.....like the rest of us! As well as appreciate your own hand writing.

So now I am definately looking outside the square and instead of booting up the laptop to type up some journalling I just get the Artline marker out and journal away as well as doodle on the LO somewhere. I am getting that was now that it is starting to become compulsive to use that Artline marker. My nature I suppose.

On Saturday the SWS team organised a romantic, intimate dinner for 70 odd ladies. Just beautifully decorated. We were all spoilt and received at our place setting a gorgeous china cup as our little present! The tea cup has a beautiful phrase about love. You chose well ladies!

During the evening we heard Red Fulton speak on "Love Actually". She is such a wonderful speaker and I truly enjoyed listening to her. I also loved her sense of humor that she added into the talk. What a character!

Lou, Carol and Me enjoying our romantic evening meal with just 70 odd other ladies!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks